B. Todd Schaeffer, MD, FACS is a board certified surgeon who specializes in endoscopic surgery of the nose, face, neck, sinuses and skull base. He has been performing advance endoscopic and laser procedures for over twenty years since graduating from the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. He is the Chief and Associate Chairman of the Department of Otolaryngology -Communicative Disorders at North Shore University Hospital at Manhasset. He is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery at The Mount Sinai School of Medicine and the Hofstra North Shore- LIJ School of Medicine.
Dr. Schaeffer has been at the forefront of minimally invasive procedures by helping develop new technologies and techniques. He was a principal investigator for an in office balloon endoscopic sinus procedure to drain and open blocked sinuses. He teaches other sinus doctors how to perform this in office balloon sinus drainage procedure under local anesthesia and has been an invited lecturer at other institutions on this topic. He uses 3D endoscopic technology for removal of pituitary tumors and skull base tumors in pediatric and adult patients. Craniopharyngiomas are slow growing beingn tumors located along the hypothalmus-optic-pituitary region of the brain. More commonly seen in pediatric age range they can cause headaches, hunger, obesity, thirst, visual problems, growth deficits and sleep disturbance. Read more about this in the Craniopharyngiomas newsletter.
Benign and malignant nasal sinus tumors are removed endoscopically avoiding external incisions. The skull base reconstruction requires a vascularized pedicle nasal mucosal flap, which prevents CSF leaks. He is one of a few surgeons who have experience at CSF Leak Repair endoscopically through the nose. "Endoscopic Liposhaving" is a technique he original described to recontour necks for youthfulness and to remove selected fatty tumors from the neck. Dr. Schaeffer discusses unusual tumors (growths) of the paranasal sinus and how they are treated with endoscopic treatment in his newsletter on Mucocele and click the following link to watch a video on this. He was one of the first surgeons in the northeast to trial a new sinus implant device. This helps to improve healing after sinus surgery and reducing the amount of steriod usage for complicated sinus polyp cases. These techniques are based from his experiences from the more common operations he performs for correcting a deviated nasal septum, endoscopic sinus surgery with image guidance, balloon dilation of sinuses and plastic surgery of the nose. Dr. Schaeffer has numerous original publications and a wide array of medical videos posted on his YouTube channel NoseMD. He has been invited to lecture locally, nationally and internationally.
To learn more about Balloon Sinus Dialtion please visit www.sinussurgeryoptions.com
Dr. Schaeffer was interviewed by Dr. Max Gomez from CBS Channel 2 on 3D endoscopic surgery. Please click here to watch the interview.
Dr. Schaeffer has also been involved in local and national organizational affairs. He is a past President of the Long Island Society of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, and is an active committee member for several different surgical Academies.
Dr. B Todd Schaeffer's Newsletters And Videos
If you are interested in making an appointment with Dr. B. Todd Schaeffer, or would like more information from one of our staff specialists, please call our office:Lake Success - 516-775-2800
Hospital Privileges: NSUH LIJ Medical Center, North Shore University Hospital at Manhasset
Scan this barcode on your
smartphone or mobile device
to bookmark Dr. B. Todd Schaeffer MD's page:
• A Lifesaving Partnership,
• B. Todd Schaeffer, MD, FACS: A Passage to India,
• B. Todd Schaeffer, MD, FACS: How to look Good for Less- Low Cost Cosmetic Procedures,
• B. Todd Schaeffer, MD, FACS: Endoscopic Surgery Saves Money, Increases Patient Safety
• ENT and Allergy Associates Welcomes B. Todd Schaeffer, M.D., and Moshe Ephrat, M.D., Expands its Nassau County Clinical Presence to Lake Success,
• ENT and Allergy Associates Intensifies Effort to Fulfill $175,000 commitment for June 10th Hope Lodge Luncheon will raise a total ENTA Philanthropic Efforts to near $500,000,
• ENT and Allergy Associates, LLP® Physicians and Administrators To Speak at The American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery 2011 Annual Meeting ,
• 2011 Top Leadership Teams in Healthcare Winners Announced ENT and Allergy Associates, LLP® named winner of HealthLeaders Media 2011 Top Leadership Team in Healthcare Award
• Sinus Problems,
• Endoscopic Septoplasty & Endoscopic Transnasal Adenoidectomy,
• Septal stapler in Correction of Deviated Nasal Septum, Endoscopic Septoplasty in HD,
• Maxillary Fungal Sinusitis,
• Deviated Nasal Septum Repair: Endoscopic Septoplasty in HD,
• Hearing Aids : Treatment Overview,
• Hearing Aids : Two (2) Better Than One (1),
• Minimally Invasive Office Based Sinus Surgery