Ofer Jacobowitz, MD, PhD, FAASM, FAAOA is a nationally and internationally recognized leader in the medical and surgical treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. He is dedicated to providing personalized, comprehensive treatment of obstructive sleep apnea, from non-invasive and minimally-invasive options such as the Pillar Procedure, oral appliances and CPAP to advanced airway reconstructive surgery and implantable hypoglossal neurostimulation. He is dual board-certified in otolaryngology- Head & Neck Surgery and Sleep Medicine and is highly skilled at assessing and treating the anatomical aspects of sleep apnea and spectrum of sleep disorders. Dr Jacobowitz provides caring, state-of –the-art treatment to adults and children in order to improve their quality of life, function and reduce the medical risks of sleep apnea.
Sleep Apnea Procedures performed include:
- Custom Oral Appliance fitting (eg TAP-3, Respire)
- Pillar procedure and office snoring treatment
- Drug-Induced Sleep Endoscopy (DISE)
- UPPP, preserving the uvula
- Palatal Advancement Pharyngoplasty
- Lateral pharyngoplasty and Expansion Sphincter Pharyngoplasty
- Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy
- Lingual tonsillectomy (Coblation)
- Genioglossus Advancement
- Midline glossectomy (Coblation)
- Hyoid suspension
- Tongue base radiofrequency treatment (TBRF)
- Nasal reconstructive surgery (nasal valve, septoplasty, turbinate, endoscopic sinus procedures)
Dr Jacobowitz is a national and international speaker and course director on sleep apnea and has presented in academic venues in Australia, Brasil, Italy, Israel, Taiwan and academic medical centers throughout the US. He has authored original research articles, review articles and book chapters in prestigious scientific and medical journals. He is a peer Reviewer of sleep articles for academic journals and is an associate book editor of the upcoming second edition of the definitive textbook Sleep Apnea and Snoring.
He is a renowned researcher in implantable hypoglossal neurostimulation, an experimental novel therapeutic option for obstructive sleep apnea. He served as a principal investigator in the THN2 FDA clinical trial for Implantable hypoglossal neurostimulation therapy and and is now enrolling patients in the THN3 pivotal FDA study.
Academic Positions and Accomplishments Include:
- Laryngoscope Journal
- Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Journal
- Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine
American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- National Chair, Sleep-related Breathing Disorders Section (2012-2013)
- National Chair, all Membership Sections (2012-2013)
- Expert member Quality Measures Task Force for Adult OSA (2013-present)
- Section leader , Future of Sleep Medicine Expert Task Force (2010-2011)
- Fellow, awarded (2012)
American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
- Medical Devices and Drugs Committee, member / consultant (2007-present)
- Sleep Disorders Committee, member / consultant (2008-present)
- Honor award (2011)
American Rhinological Society member
International Surgical Sleep Society, founding member
American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy, fellow (2006)
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society induction (1995)
Mount Sinai Hospital (2012-present)
- Assistant Professor, Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
New York Presbyterian/Columbia University (8/2004-8/2013)
- Assistant Professor, Otolaryngology (2009-2013) and Instructor (2004-2009)
Orange Regional Medical Center, attending (7/2001- present)
- Associate Director, Orange Regional Medical Center for Sleep Disorders (2011-present)
- Chairman and executive committee member, EENT Department, 2 terms (2007-2010)
New York University
- Co-director, Dental Sleep Medicine course, for 3 years
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Medical Scientist Training Program, New York, NY
- Ph.D. in Pharmacology
Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY
- Internship in Surgery
- Residency in Otolaryngology
Associate Editor for the 2nd edition of “Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Snoring”, Elsevier
Editor and author for Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology Journal's "Obstructive Sleep Apnea" issue, March 2012
Recent national and international presentations:
American Academy of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery annual meeting, San Diego, CA, September 18-21, 2016.
- "Integrating Oral Appliances into Your Sleep Apnea Practice", Hands-on Instruction 2hr Course Director
- “Upper Airway Surgery: More or Less”, 2 hr mini-seminar chair and speaker
- “Horizons for Hypoglossal Neurostimulation: Current and Future Directions”, mini-seminar speaker
- “Predictors of Success For OSA Treatment Using Targeted Hypoglossal Neurostimulation (THN)”, presenter of original research
“EUROSAS up to date 2016”, Invited speaker and presenter, September 15-17, 2016, Rimini, Italia.
- “Implantable Neurostimulation for Sleep Apnea: ImThera Medical”
- “Does Sleep Endoscopy Predict Extent of Upper Airway Reconstructive Surgery Required for Treatment of OSA?”, poster with Dr Ying Shuo Hsu
Seventh International Surgical Sleep Society (ISSS) Symposium- Surgery Sleep & Breathing, Sao Paulo, Brasil, April 15-16, 2016. Invited speaker and presenter of original research
- “Targeted Hypoglossal Nerve Stimulation for OSA”
- “Predictors of Success for OSA Targeted Hypoglossal Neurostimulation”
- “Does sleep endoscopy predict extent of upper airway reconstructive surgery required for treatment of OSA?”
27th Annual Meeting of the Australasian Sleep Association, Melbourne, Australia, October 22-24 2015
- Speaker on innovations in surgery and neurostimulation, Marrying anatomy with physiology in OSA phenotypes
Sleep Apnea Surgery Multi- Disciplinary course Down Under, Melbourne, Australia, October 21-22 2015
- Surgical Instructor and Speaker on advanced sleep apnea reconstructive surgery procedures
American Academy of Otolaryngology/ Head & Neck Surgery annual meeting, Dallas, TX, September 30 2015
- Panelist & Speaker: "Ask The Experts Sleep Surgery Forum" with colleagues
Associated Professional Sleep Societies’ (APSS) Meeting, Seattle, WA, June 8, 2015
- Session Chairman:
“Personalized OSA Therapy: Combining Patient Preferences with the Evidence for Clinical Outcomes of CPAP, Oral Appliance Therapy and Surgery”
St Louis University, St Louis, MS, May 7-9, 2015
- Invited speaker and instructor: “Advanced Surgical techniques for Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Snoring Hands-on Course”
16th World Congress of Rhinology, Sao Paulo, Brasil, April 30-May 2, 2015.
- Invited international speaker and Panelist
- “Implantable Neurostimulation for OSA”
- “Controversies in the Treatment of Sleep Apnea”
- “Nasal Obstruction in Sleep Apnea- Does it Matter?”
OSAS Surgery International Course: Surgically Oriented Hands-On Workshop, Celebration, FL, March 1-3 2015
- Invited speaker and surgical dissection leader
- “Multilevel Surgery for OSA”
- “Geniotubercule advancement”
- “Medical reimbursement in OSA”
Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, April 6, 2015
- Grand Rounds Invited Speaker “Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Surgical Approaches”, at
Charleston Sleep Surgery Symposium, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, January 30-31 2015.
- Invited speaker and surgical instructor,
- “Multilevel Surgery or Palatopharyngoplasty? Which is best?”
- “Oral Appliance Therapy by the Otolaryngologist”
- “Upper Airway Stimulation, Part 2: ImThera”
Annual Taiwan Otolaryngological Society Meeting, Taipei, Taiwan, November 15-16, 2014.
- Keynote speaker
- “Recommendations for ENT Clinicians on Sleep Medicine Practice from Experiences sitting as the Chair, Section leader & Committee member of AAO-HNS & AASM”
- “Could Palatal Plus Base Of Tongue Surgery Replace The Role Of MMA In OSAS Treatment?”
2nd International Sleep Science and Technology Association (ISSTA) Conference, Taipei, Taiwan. Taipei, Taiwan, November 15, 2014.
- Invited international speaker “Research Trends in Sleep Surgery and Technology”
Sixth International Surgical Sleep Society (ISSS) Meeting, Detroit, MI, October 25, 2014.
- Invited speaker “Oral Appliance Therapy for OSA”
American Academy of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery annual meeting, Orlando, FL, September 21-24, 2014.
- Invited speaker and course director
- "Hypoglossal nerve stimulation therapy for OSA"
- "UPPP and Oral Appliance: Friends or Foes?"
- "Integrating Oral Appliances into Your Sleep Apnea Practice"
43rd Annual Brasilian Congress of Otolaryngology Sao Paulo, Brasil, November 21-23, 2013.
- Invited international speaker and panelist
- "Retrolingual expansion for OSA: Selection and Treatment", Invited panelist
- "Surgical Planning in OSA: How to Choose the Surgical Technique"
- "Does Polysomnography Reflect the Benefit of OSA Surgery?"
- "New Trends in Tongue Base Treatment for OSA: Hypoglossal Neurostimulation"
Dr Jacobowitz is a mentor, externship sponsor and admissions counselor for Massachusetts Institute of Technology students.
Dr. Ofer Jacobowitz Now enrolling volunteers in FDA Study of Neurostimulation for Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Dr Jacobowitz ENTA magazine article “ Personalized Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea”
Dr Jacobowitz in the news for Implantable Hypoglossal Neurostimulation therapy
Options for Treating Sleep Apnea Mean More Shut-eye and Better Health
Dr Jacobowitz named national chairperson for the American Academy of Sleep Medicine’s sleep apnea section
Dr Jacobowitz quoted on Provent Therapy
AASM Sleep Related Breathing Disorders Section Names New Chairperson
Dr Jacobowitz speaks about the impact and treatment sleep apnea in children
Dr Jacobowitz named associate medical director of the center for sleep medicine
ImThera Medical Generating Buzz Over Neurostimulation for Sleep Apnea
Dr Jacobowitz presents successful surgical treatment for OSA in Sleep Review Magazine
Dr. Ofer Jacobowitz Receives Honor Award from American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
MIT student externship with Dr Jacobowitz