Dr. Tamekia Wakefield graduated Cum Laude from Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee and attended Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland where she was an active participant in many student organizations and committees including the admissions committee and Medical Student Society, the student government organization. She completed General Surgery Internship at Lenox Hill Hospital, and Otorhinolaryngology Residency at the prestigious Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. During residency, Dr. Wakefield achieved many academic honors and awards, such as the Resident Research Award in 2001 given by the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Dr. Wakefield completed Pediatric Otolaryngology Fellowship at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland .
After leaving residency, Dr. Wakefield spent four years serving with the United States Navy at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Her duty was served in the Department of Otolaryngology where she cared for the war-wounded and their family members and also served as the Academic Program Director for the National Capital Consortium Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Program, the Medical School Clerkship Director, as well as a member of the Society of Military Otolaryngologists. While serving, Dr. Wakefield earned the National Defense Service Medal, The Meritorious Unit Commendation Medal, and The Global War on Terrorism Service Medal. Her active duty ended with an honorable discharge.
During fellowship Dr. Wakefield explored her interest in pediatric sleep apnea and co-authored a chapter on sleep apnea which will appear in the next edition of Cummings Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery .
Dr Wakefield specializes in pediatric otolaryngology. Her areas of interest include pediatric sleep disorders, pediatric voice disorders, and the impact of childhood obesity in the practice of pediatric otolaryngology. She is fellowship trained in the management of pediatric disorders of the ear, nose, and throat and is Board-Certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery. She is a member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery.
If you are interested in making an appointment with Dr. Tamekia Wakefield, or would like more information from one of our staff specialists, please call our office:Bayside - 718-631-8899
Hospital Privileges: NSUH LIJ Medical Center, New York Hospital Queens
Scan this barcode on your
smartphone or mobile device
to bookmark Dr. Tamekia Wakefield's page:
• Helping Your Hearing Loss,
• Dr. Tamekia Wakefield speaks to Sara Lee Kessler of 101.9 on the difference between cold vs. flu,
• ENTA began delivering its story of superior medical care and next day appointments on television, specifically CBS Ch 2,
• ENTA Celebrates Great Success as Bayside Physicians Co-Hosted First Annual Queens Pediatric Symposium on January 16th, 2013
• ENT and Allergy Associates Welcomes Tamekia L. Wakefield, MD, further reinforcing its Pediatric sinus expertise and capabilities in Queens ,
• ENT and Allergy Associates continues to bolster Bayside presence and expertise, adds Allergist/Immunologist Dr. Brian Safier,
• ENT and Allergy Associates® Announces 2nd Managed Care Accord of 2011 Agreement assures that members of Empire Plan will continue to receive superior medical care ,
• 2011 Top Leadership Teams in Healthcare Winners Announced ENT and Allergy Associates, LLP® named winner of HealthLeaders Media 2011 Top Leadership Team in Healthcare Award