Swallowing Problem References
REFERENCES for What's Considered a Swallowing Problem?
1. Veis, S, Logemann, J: Swallowing Disorders in Persons with Cerebral Vascular Accident. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1985; 66:372-375.
2. Horner J, Massey EW, Riski JE, Lathrop DL, Chase KN. Aspiration following stroke: clinical correlates and outcome. Neurology 1988; 38: 1359-1362.
3. Brown M, Glassenberg M. Mortality factors in patients with acute stroke. JAMA 1983; 224: 1493-1495.
4. Scmidt, EV, Smirnov, VE, Ryabova, VS.: Results of the Seven Year Prospective Study of Stroke Patients. Stroke 1988; 19:1942-1949.
5. Schmidt J, Holas M, Halvorson K, Reding M. Video-fluoroscopic evidence of aspiration predicts pneumonia but not dehydration following stroke. Dysphagia 1994; 9:7-11.
6. Martin BJW, Corlew MM, Wood H, Olson D, Golopol LA, Wingo M, Kirmani N. The association of swallowing dysfunction and aspiration pneumonia. Dysphagia 1994; 9:1-6.
7. Johnson ER, McKenzie SW, Sievers A. Aspiration pneumonia in stroke. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1993; 74:973-976.
8. Holas MA, DePippo KL, Reding MJ. Aspiration and relative risk of medical complications following stroke.Arch Neurol 1994; 51:1051-1053.
9. Smithard DG, O'Neill PA, Park C, Morris J, Wyatt R, England R, Martin DF. Complications and outcome after acute stroke. Does dysphagia matter? Stroke 1996; 27:1200-1204.
10. Marrie TJ, Durant H, and Kwan C. Nursing home-acquired pneumonia. J Am Geriatr Soc 1986; 34:697-702.
11. Norman DC, Castle SC, Cantrell M. Infections in the nursing home. J Am Geriatr Soc 1987; 35: 796-805.
12. Alvarez S, Shell CG, Woolley TW, Berk SL, Smith JK. Nosocomial infections in long-term facilities. J Gerontol 1988; 43: M9-17.
13. Back-Sague C, Villarino E, Giuliano D, Welbel S, Latts L, Manangan LM, Sinkowitz RL, Jarvis WR. Infectious diseases and death among nursing home residents: results of surveillance in 13 nursing homes. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1994; 15:494-496.
14. Scheckler WE, Peterson PJ: Infections and infection control among residents of eight rural Wisconsin nursing homes. Arch Int Med 1986; 146: 1981-1984.
15. Hoffman N, Jenkins R, Putney K. Nosocomial infection rates during a one-year period in a nursing home care unit of a Veterans Administration hospital. Am J Infect Control 1990; 18: 55-63.
16. Boyce JM, Potter-Boyne G, Dziobek L, Solomon SL. Nosocomial pneumonia in medicare patients: hospital costs and reimbursement under the prospective payment system. Arch Int Med 1991; 151: 1109-1114.
17. Leder SB, Sasaki CT, Burrell MI. Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of dysphagia to identify silent aspiration. Dysphagia 1998; 13: 19-21.
18. Aviv JE, Sacco RL, Thomson J, et al . Silent laryngopharyngeal sensory deficits after stroke. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1997; 106: 87-93.