Ensuring the safety of our patients is our utmost priority. We want you to know that we are closely monitoring the COVID- 19 situation and taking steps to keep everyone as safe as possible. At this time, in order to protect the safety of our patients and preserve our ability to staff our sites with our talented specialty doctors and teams, ENTA will be limiting patient access at several clinical locations. For a complete list, click here.
Many of our locations will be open for allergy shots and biologic therapies during this time, but also on a limited schedule. Please contact your office for the availability of these hours. For complete information on the latest restrictions and screening process, please click here.
In response to the current emergency situation all our locations will be offering Virtual Office Visits with your local ENTA doctors. For more information, please click here.
As an Allergist and a mother of two young kids, the products I recommend to my patients as well as what I use in my house are very important in terms of being effective for cleaning while also being safe.
Below is a list of products I recommend to people who suffer from allergies.
1. A good vacuum with a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter is very important for a patient with indoor allergen sensitivities such as dust mite or pet dander. The HEPA filter traps incoming particulates so they don’t disperse back into the air. I personally like the Dyson and Shark products such as Dyson Multifloor 2 Upright Vacuum and the Shark Navigator Powered Lift-Away NV586 Vacuum as they both are excellent for picking up dust mite and pet allergens. Also, these brands have an effective dirt bin emptying system allowing avoidance of contact with the debris.
2. A laundry detergent that I recommend for my Allergy patients is All Free and Clear. However, most laundry detergents that are free and clear are safer and less irritating for patients who have sensitive skin. The added fragrances in laundry detergents can cause people to get an irritant contact dermatitis as well as headaches and nasal congestion. Therefore, I tend to advise my patients to steer clear from laundry detergents that have these added fragrances. Although we may equate a scent with better cleaning this is not completely true. Free and clear laundry detergents are very effective in cleaning and tend not to cause the added adverse effects that fragrance products may cause.
3. For patients who suffer from allergies and also those who have asthma possibly triggered by allergens, a good Air Purifier with a HEPA filter can be an important addition to one’s environment. These are small and portable units that work for a single room. The HEPA filter is excellent at trapping allergens such as dust and pet dander. They can also trap other irritants such a tobacco smoke and strong odors. Rabbit Air Purifier with HEPA filter is one that I recommend for many of my patients secondary to effectiveness in trapping allergens, its ease of use, and its sleek look.
4. For patients who have skin conditions related to their allergen sensitivities such as eczema, hives or generalized itchiness, I recommend Vanicream products. Vanicream has a wide range of products such as lotions, sunscreens, bar soaps, facial cleansers, shampoo, and conditioner. These products are great for sensitive skin as they are moisturizing while also being free of dyes, fragrances, and parabens.
5. To me, a good household cleaner is one that disinfects while also not having caustic smells which can cause irritation to the nasal passages and airways. My choice for a household cleaner is Seventh Generation Free and Clear Glass & Surface Cleaner. This is a plant-based formula which is safe for a variety of surfaces while also being free of synthetic fragrances and dyes. Also, many of the Seventh Generations products are developed from recycled materials which have the added benefit of being good for the environment.
6. For my patients who have a dust mite allergy, I recommend cleaning at least two times a week if possible. Using a cloth that is damp or moist is more effective in capturing dust than a dry cloth. Other effective methods to use when you are cleaning are wearing a mask, gloves and long clothing which all form a barrier between your nose, mouth and skin and allergens in the environment. The Amazonbasics Thick Microfiber cleaning cloths are soft and non-abrasive which makes them good for a variety of surfaces. This product is also extra absorbent for retaining water for wet use which works great when collecting dust. These are also great for the environment since they are machine washable and therefore can be reused.