Craig Zalvan, MD, FACS
Craig Zalvan, MD, FACS is presently the Medical Director at the Institute for Voice and Swallowing Disorders and Chief of the Otolaryngology service at Phelps Hospital, Northwell Health where he also serves on the Board of Directors for the hospital. He is one of the co-directors of the newly created Reflux Institute at Phelps Hospital. He is a Clinical Professor of Otolaryngology at NYMC and lectures internationally and nationally with numerous presentations, publications, and research projects on topics such as: laryngopharyngeal reflux treatment with diet, chronic cough, electromyography, injection laryngoplasty, dysphagia and esophagoscopy, laryngeal sensory testing and many other IRB approved studies. Additionally, Dr. Zalvan is a Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology at the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Dr. Zalvan's specialties includes the full range of Adult and Pediatric Voice and Swallowing Disorders, Professional voice disorders, Vocal Fold Paralysis, Spasmodic Dysphonia, Neurolaryngology, Laryngopharyngeal Reflux, the Aging Voice, Zenker's Diverticulum, Laryngeal Cancer, and Chronic Cough. Dr. Zalvan lectures internationally on the significant health benefits of a plant based diet also utilized as treatment for reflux with avoidance of medication.
Dr. Craig Zalvan has written and edited an outstanding new book on the diagnosis and treatment of reflux, both Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR) and Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) with a focus on treatment using a plant-based, Mediterranean-style diet! To view and/or purchase book, click here
Dr. Zalvan has introduced numerous laryngological techniques to the Hudson Valley region in NY including injection laryngoplasty procedures, medialization thyroplasty, transnasal esophagoscopy, office based laryngeal and pharyngeal KTP laser procedures, as well as the entire spectrum of operative laryngology. In addition to his clinical appointments, Dr. Zalvan maintains memberships in several professional societies and serves on numerous advisory boards dealing with voice and swallowing issues. Dr. Zalvan leads a medical mission team advancing laryngological care in less developed countries.
Dr. Zalvan attended Brandeis University for his undergraduate education. He completed his residency training in Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery at the Manhattan Eye Ear & Throat Hospital and at the New York Presbyterian Hospital. In addition, he has trained at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, and Lenox Hill Hospital. He went on to complete his Fellowship in Laryngology with Dr. Andrew Blitzer: Voice and Swallowing Disorders at Roosevelt Hospital/St. Luke's Medical Center.
Presentation: Care of the Professional Voice!
Honors and Awards:
- 2018 - New York Medical College Research Recognition Award
- 2015 - The Legends of Phelps Award. Phelps Memorial Hospital Center
- 2015 - Westchester County, Doctors of Distinction, Humanitarian Award
- 2015 - Westchester Healthcare hero, Westchester Magazine
- 2007 – 2018 - Top Doctors – Castle Connolly, Westchester Magazine
- 2011 – 2016 - Best Doctors – Castle Connolly, New York Magazine
- The American Laryngological Association (ALA)
- The American Broncho-Esophagological Association (ABEA)
- The New York Laryngological Society
- Blitzer Society, Active member
- European Laryngological Society – Member
- Healing the Children, Northeast
- Fellow, The American College of Surgeons
- American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery
- Zalvan CH, Hu S, Greenberg B, Geliebter J. Comparison of Alkaline Water and Mediterranean Diet vs Proton Pump Inhibition for Treatment of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 Sep 7. doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2017.1454. [Has received worldwide attention in over 100 newspapers, magazines, and journals including the New York Times]
- Zalvan CH, Berzofsky C, Tiwari R, Geliebter J. Trigger Reduction Prior to Systemic Drugs for Neurogenic Chronic Cough. 10.1002/lary.27459. Laryngoscope. Jan 2019.
- Zalvan CH. Chief Editor and Author. Digestive Gastroesophageal and Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease: A Comprehensive Guide and Diet-Based Approach. Springer Science. In Preparation.
- Zalvan CH, Geliebter J, Tiwari R. “Laryngopharyngeal Reflux and the Mediterranean Diet” in The Mediterranean diet-second edition. Edited by: Victor R. Preedy and Ronald R. Watson. Elsevier Books. 2019.
For more information about Dr. Craig Zalvan, please visit www.westchestervoicedoc.com
Craig Zalvan, MD, FACS accepts the following insurance plans:
Sleepy Hollow Office:
- AARP MedicareComplete
- Affinity Health Plan
- BC/BS Empire NY
- BC/BS HealthPlus
- Bright Health
- EmblemHealth GHI
- Empire Plan (UHC)
- HealthCare Partners IPA
- HealthSmart WTC
- Humana Medicare
- Local 1199
- MVP (Gold) Medicare
- MVP Essential
- MVP Medicaid
- Oxford Freedom
- Partners Health Plan
- Railroad Medicare
- WTC Health For Heroes
- UHC Oxf Liberty
- United Healthcare Northwell Health
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare
- US Family Health